Friday, May 25, 2007

Kim Jong-ILL

Two days ago I started to think that I might be getting sick. There was the standard tingle in the back of my throat, a light cough developing, and just a hint of fever. Since all of these are easily ignored, I did just that, continuing my cycle of working-drinking-smoking-etc.

Yesterday my voice started to go in and out, scratchy to husky, the cough got worse, and I started drinking at around 6 PM. I eventually passed out on the couch downstairs and slept until about 4:30 AM.

At 4:30 AM today, it seemed as if a herd of elephants had come and trampled my chest, leaving everything inside a liquidy pulp that must be painfully coughed out. When I'm not coughing I'm wheezing, when I'm not wheezing I'm sweating, and when I stop sweating will probably be right around the time I actually die. Reasoning? Seemingly high fever+90 degree weather without AC+debilitating cough+deliriousness=death. It is a simple equation we all know.

As such, you should all probably say goodbye to me. It has been a long time since I felt this sick...and I get sick a lot. I, in all honesty, might actually die.

And if this sickness doesn't get me, it sure sounds an awful lot like Kim Jong-Il will finish me off. According to BBC news, the North Koreans tested a ballistic missile with the capability of reaching the US outlying territory of Guam! My dear God, not Guam! Where would we get our...wait, what does Guam have?

Regardless of Guam's exports or political status, I don't think there are very many people in the US that really even know Guam is part of the country. More than that, I don't think they'd care that North Korea has the ability to blow up an island that, strategically, would do nothing.

The reason I bring this up is because the last line of the article states that North Korea has the ability to blow up Guam, and makes sure we know it is a US territory. Why would the BBC put that there? A scary yet subtle reminder of our country's poor standing with the international community? Well, if you're gonna do that they'd better be able to hit the west coast or something. I mean, otherwise what is the point. I really don't think we care that much about Guam and, if we did, we would have allowed them statehood the last 900 times they asked for it. We just want them to let us build our military bases there. Is that too much to ask?

Having now looked up what, exactly, Guam does (nothing but allow the US to sit on their face--militarily), I can see why Kim Jong-Il might fancy a missile that can reach it. Of course, Guam is probably littered with nuclear weapons silos, and I am sure that if North Korea did anything it would be the shortest nuclear war imaginable....and North Korea wouldn't be a problem/exist any more... Man this is looking better and better. C'mon, Kimmy, the illest Il in all of Asia, test our mettle. What do we have to lose? Guam?

Pretty soon I will be heading off to the poster shop. I started working there before exams started and now put in around 40 hours a week (or more) doing nothing at all. It takes ten minutes to open the store and ten minutes to close the store. I spend the other ten HOURS reading books, online newspapers, magazines, or anything that I can. I mean anything....with the amount of time I spend on IMDB these days, I should be the reigning Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon champion of the world. Similarly, I could link any person at Ithaca College back to me, thanks to facebook, in a game I like to call "Six Degrees of..." well, it doesn't rhyme. Still, I could do it. Just try me...

With this incredible "free time," I have also become quite addicted to reading the news, as well as more worthless pursuits like that just mentioned. Hence this little bit of fun regarding North Korea, who I actually wouldn't mind blowing up. More than anything, reading so much news has only served to infuriate me at the sorry state of the world. While I knew the world generally lay in shambles, I didn't know to what extent. If this newfound knowledge has taught me anything, it is that the only thing we can do is continue to bitch about all of them. So, I restarted this blog. With all this time spent in a poster shop, I am sure the postings will come frequently. Hopefully they will be slightly less scatterbrained than this one. Bear with me...I have a fever and my room is as hot as the fucking Mojave.

No comments: